Dry Scalp - 6 Natural Remedies To Treat This Problem!
Dry scalp is a distressing condition which is characterized by persistent irritation on the scalp. There is a constant sensation of itching, which can also be accompanied by chronic dandruff and hair loss. Causes of dry scalp are numerous of which use of harsh chemical products on hair is the most commonly implicated cause. Dehydration of the body or excessive washing of hair, skin infections affecting the scalp can also cause a dry scalp.
Natural remedies are beneficial in treating a dry scalp condition. Most commonly used effective remedies according to the Naturopathy as follows:
1. Coconut oil â€“ This oil has various applications in treating a variety of skin diseases. It moisturizes the scalp and helps to hydrate it. Also, its antibacterial properties help to reduce the risk of skin infections. Coconut oil can be applied directly on hair 30 to 40 minutes prior to shampooing and then washed with a mild shampoo. It nourishes the scalp and also makes the hair shiny.
2. Tea tree oil â€“ This oil has various benefits, since it acts as an antibiotic and antifungal. It helps to relieve the symptoms of dry scalp by removing the excess oil off. Since it is an essential oil, tea tree oil should be used with a carrier oil like coconut oil. Massaging it on the scalp and leaving it for 10-15 minutes is recommended.
3. Aloe Vera â€“ This plant has various medicinal benefits and it is used for treating numerous skin and hair infections. It is an anti-inflammatory agent, which helps to soothe irritated skin or itching. It is also an excellent moisturizer that hydrates the scalp. Pure extract of Aloe Vera can be applied directly on the scalp and left for some time, after which it can be rinsed.
4. Olive oil â€“ Olive has a moisturizing effect on the scalp. It nourishes the dehydrated scalp and helps to cure the dryness. It can be applied few minutes before a bath and cleansed with a mild shampoo.
5. Yogurt â€“ It has an exfoliating effect on the scalp. It soothes the irritated and dried skin on the scalp and hydrates it. It is applied 30 minutes before washing hair.
Treatment of the dry scalp with the use of these home remedies is effective and risk free. To prevent an allergic reaction, a patch test should be done on the skin before using any product on the scalp. Dry scalp should be treated at the earliest, since constant dryness can cause scratching and even lead to hair loss. If the dryness of scalp is accompanied with a fungal infection, then anti-fungal should be taken as prescribed by the physician.