Excessive Oily Hair - 5 Home Remedies To Cure This Problem!
An excessive oil production on the scalp can hamper the health of hair. Oil production is a natural process undertaken by the scalp to provide nourishment to hair. Oil production also provides protection to the scalp from harmful external factors. However, when there is an excess accumulation of oil on the scalp, it can lead to a condition called as the seborrheic dermatitis. In this condition, there is a presence of numerous red patches on the scalp in addition to the excess dandruff growth.
There are various causative factors that play a role in the development of an oily scalp. If the humidity level in the environment is high, then it is likely to cause an oily scalp. Dandruff production is also increased in humid weather conditions. During the summer season, people usually experience greasy hair. Excessive use of the hair conditioner can also be a big cause of an oily scalp. Also, use of leave-on in excess can give rise to an oily scalp. Other causes include nutritional deficiencies, specifically Vitamin B and C deficiency, excess shampooing of hair, chronic dandruff problem, hormonal disorders and improper or less hair washing.
A person may find it difficult to maintain an excess oil-free scalp even after washing hair on a regular basis. Not only does it hamper the health of the scalp, but it also affects the self-esteem of the person. To get rid of this condition, there are several home remedies which can be very effective. 5 well known home remedies for treating an excessive oily scalp are as follows:
1. Apple cider vinegar – It has pH controlling properties, which help to regulate the pH of the scalp. Rinsing the scalp with apple cider vinegar helps to control the excessive secretion of oil on the scalp. 2-3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar can be mixed with a cup of water and used for rinsing the scalp. Mild shampoo should be used to clean it off after 15-20 minutes.
2. Aloe vera – This plant has wonderful astringent properties that work on various skin and hair related conditions. It has anti-inflammatory soothing properties, which work well on various conditions of the scalp. It is an effective remedy for flaky scalp caused by a chronic dandruff condition. The gel obtained from the leaves of Aloe vera should be applied directly on the scalp and kept for 20 minutes. Use of Aloe vera can cause a change in the hair texture and cure dandruff too. Application of the Aloe vera gel twice a week reduces the excess oil production very efficiently.
3. Coconut oil – Virgin coconut oil is considered to be a very light oil. It should ideally be applied overnight or at least an hour before shampooing hair. This oil provides adequate conditioning to the hair, without making the scalp greasy. Excessive production of oil is prevented by the use of coconut oil prior to a hair wash.
4. Baking soda - Baking soda is very effective as a dry shampoo. It can also be used for rinsing excessively oily hair. Its alkaline nature helps in maintaining the pH of the scalp and it also absorbs excess oil present on the scalp. Baking soda can be directly sprinkled on the hair and scalp and left for 5-10 minutes. It should be rinsed with water after which a visible effect on excess oil removal is seen.
5. Lemon juice – Squeezing a lemon and applying its juice directly on the scalp is one of the easiest available home remedies for treating an oily scalp. Lemon is an excellent clarifier, which works well in removing accumulated dirt from hair. It is a good source of Vitamin C which provides nourishment to the scalp too. Whenever an oily scalp is experienced, lemon juice should be applied for a few minutes and rinsed off with water.
Disclaimer : The home remedy given on the site is intended to educate the users and for the informational purpose only, but not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak to your doctor before you try any home remedy given on alopeciacure.com.
Head Office: Surat
Dr. Rohit Shah,
1/3839 Nani Desai Pole, Opp. Rupal Hospital,
Soni Falia, Surat - 395 003. Gujarat. India.
Time: 1.00 to 6.00 p.m.
Tel: +91 261 2591146-47
Cell: +91 94283 94100